Get ready for another virtual Sacramento Archives Crawl! Due to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic, the Crawl will be held online throughout the first week of October – Sunday, October 3 through Saturday, October 9, 2021 – to coincide with National Archives Month.
The community is invited to visit the Sacramento Archives Crawl Facebook page every day to see live tours and speakers, and view videos and photo exhibits from 17 archives and special collections libraries around the Sacramento region. New this year is a live discussion panel that features archivists from area archives discussing their work and taking question from viewers. Links to all live events, plus all the videos and exhibits, can be found at the Crawl Facebook page and website.
The 2021 theme is “Preserving Perseverance,” which takes on added importance in 2021. During the virtual Crawl, viewers will see treasures from local archives’ collections, go on virtual tours, and participate in live interactive sessions. Live events include speakers presenting on the Japanese American community in Winters, Sacramento’s Depression-era Hoovervilles, and the incarceration of Japanese residents during World War II. There will also be live virtual tours of the Center for Sacramento History, Placer County Archives and Collections Facility, and Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park’s Coloma Gold Rush Live, plus a live overview of film and photo preservation.
In addition to live events, there will be videos and photo exhibits posted daily on topics such as Sacramento during the 1918 influenza pandemic and the Depression, El Dorado County at play, cemetery headstone conservation, the history of the town of Iowa Hill, abolitionist Jeremiah Burke Sanderson, the impact of water on San Joaquin County, and the history of redistricting in Yolo County and West Sacramento
The following institutions and vendors will be participating:
- California Revealed www.californiarevealed.org
- California State Archives www.sos.ca.gov/archives
- California State Library https://www.library.ca.gov
- California State Railroad Museum Library & Archives https://www.californiarailroad.museum/visit/library
- Center for Sacramento History www.centerforsacramentohistory.org
- Cox Black and White Lab www.coxblackandwhitelab.com
- El Dorado County Historical Museum http://museum.edcgov.us/
- Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park www.parks.ca.gov/marshallgold
- Old City Cemetery Committee https://historicoldcitycemetery.org
- Placer County Museums Division https://www.placer.ca.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/Research-Collections-Artifact-Storage-85
- Root Cellar–Sacramento Genealogical Society www.rootcellar.org
- Sacramento Room of the Sacramento Public Library www.saclibrary.org/Locations/Sacramento-Room/
- Sacramento State University https://library.csus.edu/special-collections-and-university-archives
- San Joaquin County Historical Society & Museum https://sanjoaquinhistory.org/research-and-archives/archives
- UC Davis Library, Archives and Special Collections https://www.library.ucdavis.edu/special-collections/
- West Sacramento Historical Society http://westsachistoricalsociety.org/
- Yolo County Archives https://yolocountylibrary.org/locations/archives/
Now in its 11th year, the Sacramento Archives Crawl is normally held the first Saturday of October in celebration of National Archives Month. Archives and special collections libraries from around the Sacramento region display their rarely seen treasures at four host sites in downtown Sacramento (the Center for Sacramento History, Sacramento Public Library, California State Library, and California State Archives), and participants can take behind-the-scenes tours, participate in a scavenger hunt, and attend free lectures by local historians.
For more information about the 11th Annual Sacramento Archives Crawl, please visit www.sacarchivescrawl.com.