After pausing the prestigious annual program for a year due to COVID-19 and “reimagining” the fundraising event into a virtual format, the Sacramento History Alliance is proud and excited to announce the 2021 Burnett Awards will take place on Thursday evening, June 10, 2021 at 6 p.m. The high-profile Burnett Awards is a benefit fundraiser for two of Sacramento’s historic treasures – the Sacramento History Museum and the Center for Sacramento History. Presented by the Burnett and Mimi Miller family and Burnett & Sons Planing Mill & Lumber Company, the ticketed event will take place via Zoom this year. The fast-paced virtual event guest Master of Ceremonies will be Mark S. Allen, Seven-Time Emmy Award Winning Co-Host of ABC10’s Morning Blend & EXTRA BUTTER.
The Burnett Awards is named in honor of the late Burnett Miller – a native Sacramentan, former mayor, community icon, philanthropist, business leader and one of the city’s most prominent history enthusiasts. Each year, the Sacramento History Alliance honors local legacy businesses that have met and withstood the test of time and are recognized contributors to the community culture in the Sacramento region.
The five 2021 Burnett Award honorees include the following:
• The Sacramento Observer – in business since 1962, the publication is one of the leading African American newspapers in the U.S. The family-owned publication has been recognized with more than 600 local and national awards for outstanding community service and journalistic excellence;
• Shasta Linen Supply – founded in 1923, this family laundry became a commercial linen supply business during the 1950s. The business, which is now owned and managed by third and fourth generations, serves the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valley;
• Iceland Ice Skating Rink – a fixture of family fun in Sacramento since 1940, Iceland Ice Skating Rink has been the place where fond memories have been made for generations of children, friends, and families alike. From children learning to skate to couples tying the knot on the rink, Iceland continues to bring people together in a special way;
• HUB International, formerly John O. Bronson Co. – founded in 1888, HUB International stands as one of the oldest businesses in the Sacramento area. With a staff of approximately 100 employees, the business offers a comprehensive range of business and personal insurance products and services;
• Taylor’s Market – what started as a corner neighborhood grocery store in 1962 by Roy Taylor and Ed Schell, Taylor’s Market remains a mainstay on Freeport Blvd. nearly six decades later, offering fresh local produce, meats, and seafood as well as specialty goods.
In addition to a limited number of sponsorships that are still available, individual 2021 Burnett Award program tickets cost $10 per screen and can be purchased online at http://sachistorymuseum.org/events/the-burnett-awards/. To find out more about the Sacramento History Alliance, the Sacramento History Museum, and the Center for Sacramento History, please visit www.sachistorymuseum.org.