Home » Tragic end to 2012: Suspect caught after two killed, three injured in New Year’s Eve shooting in Old Sacramento
Community Voice

Tragic end to 2012: Suspect caught after two killed, three injured in New Year’s Eve shooting in Old Sacramento

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

UPDATE – On Friday, January 4, 2013, a male and female associated with Carlito Montoya were arrested for assault with a deadly weapon related to this incident. Amber Scholz-36 is believed to have instigated the altercation and her husband Charles Fowler-Scholz-34, was involved in the physical fight that preceded the deadly shooting. No further details are available at this time.


UPDATE – Suspect identification: According to a Sacramento Police update, the suspect, 22-year-old Carlito Montoya, is in police custody in an area hospital. Montoya is receiving medical treatment for multiple gunshot wounds.


A 22-year-old man wanted in connection with a New Year’s Eve shooting in Old Sacramento that left two people dead and three others with gunshot wounds was apprehended by Sacramento police last night.

The suspect allegedly pulled a gun during a fight inside the Sports Corner Cafe and began firing, hitting a 30-year-old female, a 35-year-old male and an employee in his 20s, according to a police press release. The two male victims suffered multiple gunshot wounds and died on the scene, while the female victim survived and was taken to a hospital.

The fight had begun as an argument before turning into a physical altercation, which a bar employee attempted to break up. It was not immediately clear from the press release if that was the same employee who was shot. 

– The press release continues:

"An armed security guard that was near a side door heard the gunshots, confronted the suspect inside the bar and the two exchanged gunfire. Both the suspect and the security guard sustained gunshot wounds from their exchange.

The suspect, still armed with the gun ran from the bar toward crowded city streets and was immediately taken into custody by responding police. The suspect and the security guard were transported to local hospitals with non-life threatening injuries.

The 22-year-old suspect remains in police custody while being treated at a local hospital. The identity of the suspect is temporarily being withheld while investigation is underway.

The Sacramento Police Department’s Homicide Unit and Crime Scene Investigations Unit responded to investigate. At this time, detectives are actively investigating and contacting all subjects involved in the incident. Two guns were recovered at the scene. No further information is available at this time.

The Sacramento Police Department urges anyone with information pertaining to this homicide to contact Crime Alert at (916) 443-HELP (4357) or text in a tip to 274637 (CRIMES). Enter SACTIP followed by the tip information. Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000." 

City Councilmember Steve Hansen, who represents Old Sacramento, posted a message about the incident on Facebook Tuesday morning: 

"My heart goes out to the families of the innocent people who lost their lives or were injured last night in Old Sacramento," he wrote."This was a senseless crime. The police appear to have had immediately apprehended the shooter. I am grateful for the prompt response and quick thinking by the police and city staff to keep people calm and safe."

Our previous story:

The New Year’s Eve fireworks celebration in Old Sacramento ended tragically before it had even begun: Someone pulled a gun during a fight inside the Sports Corner Cafe around 9:40 p.m., and now two people are dead three more have been shot, according to police. The midnight display was cancelled.

An eyewitness, who provided her name but asked not to be identified, was walking outside the bar when said she heard several gunshots. She said she ducked under a stairwell, turned, and saw a young man in a white hoodie run outside the door, pull out a handgun, turn it sideway and fire repeatedly into the building before fleeing into the crowd. 

Other witnesses described a chaotic and confusing scene following the shooting. Mike Delpape had just arrived in Old Sacramento when he heard the first round of gunshots. 

"When the shooting started the first time, people kind of just looked at it, like it was part of something that was happening out here," Delpape said. "But when people started running, there was a mad rush of people just running away."

Police spokeswoman Michelle Gigante said the investigation was still preliminary but that it appeared the incident began as a fight and spilled outside. 

Jason Boyd  did not see the shooting occur, but was in a nearby bar when it happen:

A police helicopter circled over Old Sacramento, announcing over a loudspeaker "Old Sacramento is closed, please go back to your vehicles, the midnight fireworks display is cancelled."  

The shooting happen after the 9:30 p.m. fireworks display had ended and a new crowd was beginning to arrive for the midnight show. Witnesses told TV news stations that there were two bursts of gunshots, and that mounted police arrived as panicked bystanders ran down the street and into nearby shops.

The crowd was calm by 10 p.m. Groups of onlookers gathered by the police line tape.

Crime Scene Investigators studied the scene, including bunches of what appeared to be the victim’s clothing, scattered by the boardwalk. 

Editor’s note: The “News Digest” goes out every Tuesday morning and highlights our best stories, photos and videos from the week prior. Sign me up.

Support Local


Subscribe to Our
Weekly Newsletter

Stay connected to what's happening
in the city
We respect your privacy

Subscribe to Sacramento

Share via
Copy link