Home » Ask the County Law Librarian-Community Service for Parking Ticket

Ask the County Law Librarian-Community Service for Parking Ticket

Q: I got a parking ticket today for $407.50 which I simply cannot pay. I do not have any money and do not have a way to pay this ticket. How do I get community service granted to pay my fine?


A: That’s a high-priced parking ticket! Unfortunately there is no single answer to your question. You will need to contact the agency or city that gave you the ticket to find out what options they offer.

If this is in the City of Sacramento, the city does not offer any type of community service option. However, you can request to make payments instead of paying the entire sum at once. You can download the payment plan request form from the city’s website.: There is a $30 fee to set up a payment plan and the initial payment will be $38.

If you feel you have grounds to contest the citation (for instance, if you were ticketed for parking in a disabled spot without a placard, but you do in fact have a placard or were driving someone who does) you can learn more about that process at the city’s page on “Contesting a Parking Citation.” You can contest the ticket online or by mail. You should include your name, address, city, state, zip code, daytime phone number, citation date and number, location of the citation, violation code, and vehicle license number. If it is a meter-related citation, include the meter address and “PKGS” number located on the pole or on the Pay & Display kiosk, as applicable. Also include the reason you are contesting the citation, including any supporting documentation such as pictures or drawings.

For more information on how to contest a citation, we suggest reading “Fight Your Ticket and Win in California,” by Nolo Press, a publisher of self-help legal books.

If you disagree with the final decision made by the Parking Division, you have the right to an appeal. Contact the Sacramento County Superior Court for further information either by phone at 916-875-7800 or in person at the Carol Miller Justice Center. There is a $25.00 fee for each Parking Appeal filed with the court.

For more information on requesting a payment plan or contesting the ticket, visit the city’s parking website or call the city Revenue Department at 916-808-8500.

There are several other local agencies that issue tickets. Here is contact information for some of them:

• County of Sacramento – Parking Division (http://www.sacsheriff.com/organization/field_&_investigative_services/security_services_division/traffic_bureau/parking_enforcement/index.cfm)
903 Enterprise Drive
Sacramento, CA 95825

• Los Rios Community College Parking
P.O. Box 2730
Huntington Beach, CA 92647-2730
800-898-2058 / 800-979-4447

• Parking Enforcement Center C.S.U.S.
P.O. Box 5010
San Ramon, CA 94583
Information only call 916-278-7275

• University of California Davis Medical Center
Parking and Transportation Service
4800 2nd Ave., Suite 1100
Sacramento, CA 95817

If you can’t get this cleared up, the DMV may block your car’s registration (Cal. Vehicle Code 4760) or your driver’s license (Cal. Vehicle Code 12808.1), so do try to get this taken care of. Best of luck!

Do you have a question for the County Law Librarian? Just email sacpress@saclaw.org. If your question is selected your answer will appear in next Thursday’s column. Even if your question isn’t selected, though, I will still respond within two weeks.

Coral Henning, Director
@coralh & @saclawlibrarian

Support Local


Subscribe to Our
Weekly Newsletter

Stay connected to what's happening
in the city
We respect your privacy

Subscribe to Sacramento

Share via
Copy link