Home » Ask Officer Michelle – Law on Registered Sex Offenders
Community Voice

Ask Officer Michelle – Law on Registered Sex Offenders

Posted by bmcomm

Dear Officer Michele,
A registered sex offender recently moved in next door to my home. Per Megan’s list, this person was convicted of "lewd and lascivious behavior" with a child. I have 2 questions:
1) What is the Sacramento city police department’s policy regarding notifying neighbors that a registered sex offender has moved in (we have had no notification).
2) What are the residency restrictions for someone whose crime involved a child? I live .2 miles from an elementary school.
Many thanks for your response.

Dear bmcomm,

The laws in the state of California are pretty specific. There are two laws that are specific to registered sex offenders (or 290s as law enforcement refers to them related to penal code section 290). There is the well known Megan’s law that requires 290s to register each year on their birthdays for life, and Jessica’s law that deals more with proximity and tracking. The latter law was enacted in November 2006 and states that any 290 who is convicted after the November enactment date can’t live anywhere or frequent areas within 2000 feet of a school, park or place where children frequent.

Local law enforcement doesn’t notify residents when a 290 moves into the area. These 290s are usually under the supervision of the corrections or parole system. The Department of Corrections monitors their parolees usually with GPS tracking systems as well as unannounced home visits from parole/probation agents. If the parolee or probationer violates their conditions, they may be rearrested and go back to jail. In some cases, if the 290 is no longer on probation/parole, they may go onto a school grounds if they have a reason to be there such as to pick up a child family member. They must have an agreement with the school. And they can only be on the school grounds for that purpose. Once off parole, their only provisions are to register every year, and if they move, they are to notify law enforcement in that jurisdiction with in five days.

If you have any problems with the 290 in your neighborhood, you can do two things. If the crime is in progress or if something has just occurred, call 911 and a district officer will be dispatched. If there is a long term problem or if you believe something may be suspicious, contact the Office of the Attorney General on the Megan’s law website. There is a reporting section for the public to fill out. A moderator will contact you once you complete an inquiry.

Officer Michelle

Support Local


Subscribe to Our
Weekly Newsletter

Stay connected to what's happening
in the city
We respect your privacy

Subscribe to Sacramento

Share via
Copy link